Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Quails

I'll probably only have another month to harvet tomatoes. Anna Russian and Orange Strawberry are not really producing any new tomatoes. The Brandywines are still doing OK. I picked about 20 tomatoes yesterday.


This is what it looks like when I'm processing them.


I hate having seeds in my tomato sauce, so I try to get them all out before cooking them. I tried a food mill, but I didn't like the results.


Earlier this week I had lunch at Evvia in Palo Alto. It's a Greek restaurant that has Saghanaki. Saghanaki is pan fried Kefalograviera cheese & padron peppers with oregano & lemon. Emily liked the peppers so much that I thought I would try to grow some next year. I found out the resturant's source for Pimientos de Padrón and went to the farmers market this weekend to buy some. The actual Pimientos de Padróns are smaller than the ones I bought, but I figured the seeds would not be developed enough to save. These are the same peppers just more mature. I hope I can save some of the seeds to grow a few plants next summer. Of course, I will share with Emily. You can find the recipe for the peppers on the Happy Quail Farms site.

1 comment:

Emily said...

They look so good I licked the screen. Oh wait, that was Nedda.